Thursday, May 10, 2012

GAPS Diet - Day 4

Wowsers! Did you realize that just about everywhere you go there is food? Soda, snacks, nuts, sweet snacks, salty snacks.... EVERYWHERE! While I tried not to be tempted I found myself disgusted that we as a nation have gotten that lazy. Yes, I realize that our lives are busy - come on now I have five kiddos that I stay home with and homeschool - but are we really that dependent that when we go into a store, we need to have food available at all times? We are on day four of our diet, and for the most part it is going well. The kids are still having crashing blood sugars in the morning though, so we are trying to figure out how to deal with that. Breakfast consisted of some cauliflower, chicken, and ghee. Yummy :). In fact, I had the same for lunch. This afternoon, after lunch, we ran some errands. First we headed to Staples for some stuff we needed for International Night. As we were checking out, the kids started making comments about the yummy looking snacks. Now keep in mind, our family has been gluten free and organic for over three years now... That means snack bags are virtually out of the question... Yet here they were, drooling over bags of chips and pork rinds (ewwwww) that have more air and preservatives in them than actual food. Next we headed to Target. Here we knew we were going to see food. So I was smart. I just took Katie in with me while Brad stayed with the rest of the kids. Ummmmm yeah...... You walk in and get bombarded with the buttery scent of popcorn. Then there are aisles and aisles of junk.... Processed packages galore. The sad thing is I was having an internal battle. Part of me was thinking how disgusting all that packaged food really is, with little or no nutritional value. The other part of me was excited that it was not boiled veggies or meats :) Then we headed to go pick up our CSA. Yummy! Unfortunately everything we got has to be boiled if I want to consume it I bathe next week, but still... We got yummy peas, green beans, cabbage, broccoli, etc. Dinner was definitely interesting. I made a broccoli and beef soup. Sounds yummy, right!?!? I took beef broth, fish stock, water, garlic, two pounds of broccoli, and about two pounds of roast and boiled it. Then I took the roast out, puréed the mixture, cut up the roast and added it back in. Doesn't sound quite as appetizing now, does it? But in all honesty, it was not bad. Anyways, after dinner, we had to head to AC Moore and then the Dollar Tree. What did we see? More food! Poor Sam has done great over the last few days and had not complained about being hungry at all... Yet today, after seeing aisles and aisles of food, she suddenly wanted it all. It dawned on me today how we have taught our children to be hungry based on what they see that they want to eat, rather than on our bodies telling us we are hungry. We eat because it is available, it is time to, or because we want it... Not because our body needs the nutrients the food has to offer. We started this diet to help Sam... But it is doing so much more than just helping her! I am looking forward to seeing what God has in store for us as we continue down this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment