Monday, August 29, 2016

Seeing Mary with new eyes

The Biblical story of Martha and Mary is well known.  For those unfamiliar, these are the verses: Luke 10: 38-42. "Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus' feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me." And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. "But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." NKJV


Over the years, I have heard these verses preached many times.  I have read Bible studies and devotionals centered on these verses.  I have taught these verses to my children.  Yet today, while doing school with B5, I got a new perspective...

Most of the time, when I hear these verses, I pacify myself... I tell myself that most of us are Martha's... that some of us are ingrained that way.  That being a "Mary" is a goal to set and work towards.  That it basically means I need to not overload myself with works, but rather take time for Bible reading and personal devotions.  That this period in my life is busy, so I need to just do what I can.  Basically, I lied to myself!

For B5's school, the story was written on a child's level.  It talked about Martha trying to make the house spotless, knowing Jesus was coming to visit.   She also tried to make sure food was ready and beverages.  She was worried, running around like a crazy-lady, in a total frenzy.  And yet, Mary was calm, peaceful, and JOYful, listening at the feet of the Lord.

OUCH!!!!!

How many times have I rushed through a devotional or Bible study... or totally skipped it... knowing I had a list of other things I needed to tackle?  How many times have I pushed my morning Bible time to the side for extra sleep, since one of my littles were up during the night?  How many times have I panicked and stressed over getting the house clean and straightened, yet not worried nearly as much about cleaning up the inside of me?  How many times have I stressed over making sure my children, hubby, and guests are fed nourishing delicious meals, but not nearly have I stressed over the much needed spiritual food of my soul!?!?  How many moments of the day do I spend in a worried, running around like a crazy-lady, frenzy, rather than a calm, peaceful, joyful Child of God, sitting at my Savior's feet?!?!?

I tell my children that excuses are like noses... everyone has one and some smell better than others.... Time to see the Great Physician!  













No comments:

Post a Comment