Thursday, April 20, 2017

Gardening in the Northwest

So I guess we count as the Northwest now... I've tried googling it, but that just confuses me, ha.  Some sites say we are Midwest... but when you order foraging books, we don't count for that (yeah ask me how I know).  In fact, for the foraging books, we are considered the Mountain west... but we are full of prairies, so how does that work???  So I guess I will stick with saying we are in the Northwest...

Anyways, life is much different here in many aspects, especially when it comes to gardening.  I'm sure eventually we will be gardening year round, just not like we were in South Carolina.  But for now, we are looking at a very short growing season.  So how will that work with wanting to grow the majority of our veggies for the year?  I truly do not know!  All I know is we have a LOOOOONG list of seeds we want to plant.  Here is our list... which includes herbs we want to grow as well...

  • Basil
  • Bush Beans (Blue Lake, Provider, and Slenderette)
  • Beets (Detroit Dark Red and Golden Detroit)
  • Bok Choy (Canton)
  • Borage
  • Broccoli (Waltham and Purple Sprouting)
  • Brussels Sprouts (Long Island)
  • Cabbage (Brunswick, Kolobris, and Golden Acre)
  • Calendula
  • Cantaloupe (Hale's Best 45 and Hearts of Gold)
  • Carrots (Cosmic Purple and Nantes Scarlet)
  • Catnip
  • Cauliflower (Erfurter)
  • Celery
  • Chamomile
  • Chili Peppers (Cayenne, Jalapeno, Lemon Drop, Poblano, Serrano, and Thai Red Chillies)
  • Chinese Cabbage
  • Chives
  • Cilantro
  • Comfrey
  • Cucumbers (Ashley, Beit Alpha, Boston Pickling, Crystal Apple, Early Fortune, Marketmore, and Russian Pickling)
  • Dill
  • Echinacea
  • Eggplant (Black Beauty and Listed de Grandia)
  • Endive
  • Feverfew
  • Garlic
  • Gourds
  • Lavender
  • Leeks
  • Lemon Balm
  • Lemon Verbena
  • Lemongrass
  • Lettuce (LOTS)
  • Marigolds
  • Marjoram
  • Mint
  • Nasturtiums
  • Onions (Yellow, Red, and Green)
  • Oregano
  • Parsley
  • Peas (Green Arrow, Little Marvel, Oregon Sugar Pod, Sugar Daddy and Wando)
  • Peppers (California Wonder, Canary Bell, Chocolate Beauty, Emerald Green, King of the North, Marconi, Orange Sun, and Mini Red Bell)
  • Potatoes
  • Pumpkins (Jack O Lantern)
  • Radicchio
  • Radishes (Cherry Belle and Purple Plum)
  • Rosemary
  • Rutabaga (Champion Purple Top)
  • Sage
  • Shallots
  • Sorrel
  • Spinach
  • Stevia
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Swiss Chard
  • Tarragon
  • Thyme
  • Tomatillo (both purple and green)
  • Tomatoes (Amish Paste, Beefsteak, Black  Krim, Cherokee Purple, Costololo Genovese, Hungarian Heart, Martino's Roma, Red Pear, Riesentraube, Rutgers, San Marzano and Solar Flare)
  • Turnips (Seven Top)
  • Valerian
  • Watermelon (Blacktail Mountain, Cream of Saskatchewan, and Jubilee)
The thing is, I really have no clue what I am doing!!!  I've gardened in the past and have been pretty successful... but I know there is a science behind gardening and I simply do not understand what it is!  So I'm trying.. and praying... and hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment