Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Women's Role

Okay guys - I am posting a disclaimer from the get go.... this could be controversial....

Here recently, I have been really convicted regarding my role as Brad's wife and my children's momma. I stay home with my kids, cook, clean, home school, dehydrate, bake, preserve, can, etc.... I take my role as a wife and mother seriously. I feel like God has called me to be home. This is why I gave up my nursing career. This is why I gave up my dream to be a pediatrician. And no, it wasn't just a childish dream - I have my BS in Biology-PreMed with a minor in psychology and chemistry. In addition to all of this, I am active in our home school support group, organizing field trips and our international night, I "mentor" people in my home, and have an "open door" policy in my house. So what is the issue???? So glad you asked :)

Scriptures call the wives to be a help meet to our hubbies. What does this entail? It means doing all the "womanly" stuff with a glad heart. It means being submissive. It means having dinner on the table even when you do not feel like it. It means having a peaceful retreat for your hubby when he comes home from a long day at work. It means keeping the house clean and picked up. It means keeping the kiddos content and ready to spend time with daddy when he gets home. It means getting up early and spending time with God before everyone else gets up. It means doing the laundry and washing dishes and scrubbing the toilets. It means keeping my hubby happy and doing whatever I can to make his life more enjoyable and easier so that he can follow God's calling on his life. It means saying no to so much of the outside stuff. It means staying home in order to take care of my home. It means not complaining but rather rejoicing.

Last night I sat and watched Mary Poppins with my kiddos. Oh how I love that movie! But what an eye opener. I always looked at the father and wondered why in the world he did not spend time with his kids. But look at their mother!!!! She was too busy worrying about "women's rights" than to take care of her children! Women in general have become so enthralled with the desire to be equals, to be able to do whatever our hearts desire, that we are hitting the point where we are trying to reverse roles with our men. We are making them our help meets and I was doing it too!

I cannot tell you how many times my sweet hubby would come home from work and ask what is for dinner, to which I would have no answer. Or he would put laundry in the machine because I had fallen behind due to working on school with the kids. Or he would work on the dishwasher or wash dishes by hand in order to help me catch up. These are not his responsibilities - these are mine! He has enough on his plate with supporting our family than to have to do my responsibilities as well. Oh the shame I feel. The mortification I am facing as I realize how unfair I have been to him and disobedient I have been to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment