Monday, May 16, 2011

Garden-Fresh Spaghetti Sauce

I got harrassed the other day about needing to start a blog and saring some of the recipes I cook. Ironically, I already started this blog, lol, but have never put on any recipes. Generally I just write on here as a kinda journal since I spend more time on the computer than I would just writing on a piece of paper. In any case, however, I think I will share a recipe today, though I am going to have to think about which one I want to post first.

Just as an update, though, I still have not had Baby Ben. It amazes me how many people look at me and say "you haven't had him yet?" I keep joking that the next person wo asks me that I am going to tell them that I did have him, but I decided to put a basketball back under my shirt and decided against bringing him with me today. I understand what is being asked, but if you look at how rhetorical the question is, I just want to tease people back :)

I guess waiting for Ben to come is why I have been cooking so much. In the past, we have received a handful of meals after having a baby, but this time I plan to actually "be good." I will be spending the first week in bed on bedrest (gasp), and the second week on modified bedrest. Yes - I will probably go stir crazy and should really start thinking about what I want to do during that time! Anyways, I love myhubby dearly, but there are times he gets overwhelmed and is unabe to keep an eye on the kiddos and make a meal - shoot to be honest, I do too at times - so I figured I would help him out and have some meals in the freezer waiting for us :) I think the first recipe I am actually going to share is Garden-Fresh Spaghetti Sauce. I do not know that it was one requested, but I made it the other day and it was possibly the BEST spaghetti sauce I have ever made!!! I am thinking that I might modify it a little next time and add some other veggies like squash and zucchini... and maybe some spinach. Anyways - here is my recipe...

Ingredients:
2 - 7 oz packages of sliced fresh mushrooms
4-5 medium carrots, chopped
1 C chopped celery
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 head of green garlic, or 4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4C oil - I use olive
2 - 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
2 - 15 oz cans tomato sauce
12 oz can tomato paste
1 C beef broth
2 t dried basil
2 t dried oregano
1.5 t brown sugar
1 t salt
1/2t pepper
1 C grated Parmesan cheese

In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, green and red peppers, and garlic in the oil until tender. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring it to a boil, lower the temp, cover, and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. It makes around 15 - 20 cups of sauce!!! We used it for spaghetti twice and I have another four to five cups set aside in the freezer to make Parmesan Chicken :)

No comments:

Post a Comment