Monday, May 7, 2012

GAPS Diet - Day 1

Today was our first day on the GAPS Diet... I must admit, I think I had a naive outlook on what I thought it was going to look like. I had the silly notion that since our family eats comparatively healthy, the switch to this more strict diet would be difficult, but doable. Oh. My. Word! Let me try to explain... For those unfamiliar with this diet, the general purpose is to heal the intestinal tract while discovering any food allergies or intolerances, in the hopes of better overall health. Sam is our main reason for undertaking this diet. Due to her extensive list of issues, we decided to start with the intro diet, which is a little more strict than the full diet. The intro diet has six stages, with more foods being added each stage. Right now we may eat homemade broths, boiled meats, boiled carrots, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, and leeks, fermented sauerkraut juice, garlic, and water. So today's menu consisted of chicken broth, squash soup, boiled broccoli and boiled onions. Yup. That is it! Needless to say, my kiddos are not happy!!! I keep telling myself, that if this helps Sam, though, it will all be worth it in the end. I must admit, though, I am hungry! As far as side effects, we have not had too many, yet, other than feeling hungry. Brad is fighting a headache, and Katie and I are starting to get one. Apparently days two and three are often times the worst days. I kind of wonder, though, if Lee was not going through some detoxing earlier today. He was kinda Jekyll and Hyde. I guess time will tell. On a high note, Ben got to start food today as well. We had planned on waiting until he wash year, but we decided he is close enough and that this was the best time to start him... So he got some chicken broth today and seemed to love it. All it had in it was chicken, celery, water, onions, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, and parsley. I guess I can assume if all goes well, that he is not allergic to any of those foods :)

No comments:

Post a Comment