Sunday, December 22, 2013

Advent Countdown - Day 12 - United Kingdom

I know this post is overdue... so sorry!  Life has been EXTREMELY hectic!  But without further ado....

Our Bible verses were Luke 1:46-56.

Country: The United Kingdom.  Hmmmm it feels funny writing country as United Kingdom, as the UK actually consists of four countries - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  The kids fussed me pretty good for not going over Christmas traditions when we studied the UK last year.  I guess I'm a slacker ;)  Anyways, Christmas Trees are very very popular in the UK - sometimes houses have two trees (my kids thought this was a fantastic idea, so I reminded them we have a small one along with our larger one - they were not impressed).

Book: One Snowy Night, by Nick Butterworth.  This was such a cute story of a park keeper that ended up with lots of critters in his home on a cold snowy night.

Craft: Christmas cards - with Rick rack Christmas trees on the front.  The kids had a blast making these!  They drew gorgeous pictures inside of the cards, ranging from nativity scenes, to houses with Christmas lights, to rainbows.  These cards will be given along with one of our nativity ornaments with goodies to kids' SS teachers, mail carrier, etc.







Food: While turkeys are often eaten in the UK now, I just could not bring myself to make a turkey, lol.  Instead, we had Roasted Chicken and potatoes, Pigs in a Blanket (GF of course), Roasted Brussel Sprouts, and GF yorkshire Puddings.  I'm not sure what traditional ones taste like, but GF homemade yorkshire pudding is pretty good!






No comments:

Post a Comment